Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Picking Bramleys

There's still plenty of time to go and take a picture of your canine gardening helpers, supervisors, head gardeners for Matron's 2010 Dogblog. Please email me your photos before September 29th, and don't forget to send me your blog address if you want me to put a link into the post!

It has been a great year for my Bramley apple tree. I think the long hard Winter helped to develop lots of fruiting buds on the tree. There have been plenty of windfalls, but this weekend I picked the perfect fruit that was ripe (it came off easily when pulled). These will be laid carefully in the cool, dark garage. They should keep until next Spring.

I found these plastic trays being thrown out at my local garden centre. They are just the job for storing apples!

I pulled up the first of my Oarsman leeks for lunch today. Lots of length to the stem, and beautifully tender and flavoursome.

I steamed some Tromba D'Albegna squash too, easy to peel and slice. I steamed the squash, but have to say that although the flavour was fine, it was quite watery.

7 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Those trays are brilliant (as are the apples!). It's staggering what people will throw away.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

I wish I could grow apple trees here...Those leeks look wonderful!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Buddy seems to be thinking - and what exactly do she expect me to do with that? Lovely capture.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I can see you're going to be busy making lots of apple pies. I love leeks, a must have winter veg.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I agree, the apples have done really well this year whereas the plums not so well.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

Why would anyone throw out such nice crates...lucky you. That is a fine amount of good looking apples you have there.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Just had apple crumble with cookers from the tree, like yours we had a bumper harvest this year. I've tried emailing you on both your links with no joy :(

Jane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>