Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Matron's 2010 Review

What a wonderful year it has been! So many great memories and successes Down on the Allotment. Hard pressed to pick just a few of the highlights, but thank you all for staying with me. The first seeds of 2011 have been sown now, and the days are finally getting longer. It was at the end of September that so many of you sent pictures for Matron's Dogblog. I really enjoyed sharing all your doggy garden helpers.
And in August I had the privilege of meeting Peggy from Organic Growing Pains when I visited Cobh in Ireland for a short trip. Peggy showed me round her neck of the woods, here we are digging spuds on her amazing allotment. Thank you Peggy for a wonderful day!
I particularly enjoyed seed swapping with bloggers out there. I like to grow some unusual vegetables, and this hairy cucumber was an old heirloom variety passed down from family to family in Bari, Italy.
And of course, the Salmon flowered peas.
And this memorable photo of the Trombocino or Tromba D'Albegna squash. Matron is particularly proud of this one!
May I wish you all a fruitful and fertile New Year!

17 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger The Boy Ollerton said...

Bravo Matron! Bravo! :)

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Some interesting photos - and on that I'll say no more. Happy gardening in 2011.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Happy New Year! I enjoy your blog immensely, one of my new year's resolutions is to blog more often.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Happy New Year to you my friend!

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger miruku said...

Hi Matron,
Happy New Year, just stopping by...

 
At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing that you were able to visit with Peggy...both of you have such fantastic gardening skills...I always enjoying seeing and hearing about the unusual vegetables you grow Matron...so look forward to your 2011 garden!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Well done on another year of interesting blogs - here's to the next. Happy New Year Matron!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Hi from Japan... very interesting photos you have, especially the 'memorable photo of the Trombocino'... had a good laugh... happy new year...

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger KatieLovesDogs said...

The salmon flowered peas are beautiful!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

Good job on a gardening year well done and let's hope we both have another great one in 2011. Have a very Happy New Year.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Jo said...

How I love seeing pictures of Buddy, he always looks so distinguished with his silver muzzle. Happy New Year, Matron. Hope 2011 is filled with happiness in abundance.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Lexa said...

Matron- Happy New Year from Oregon! I really enjoy your blog and look forward to another year of following your gardening adventures.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger fer said...

Sowing so fast, for me i think i still need to wait a couple months. Happy new year!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Happy New Year Matron! I look forward to reading your blog in 2011 and especially trying out those salmon flowered peas.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year! All the best for the days ahead and to bountiful harvests and your gardening skills.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger IrmaPerth said...

The hairy cucumber looks very interesting, what is the name of this variety? Irma from Perth, Western Australia - urbanveggies.blogspot.com

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Irma - it is not a named variety. It was collected from a family in Bari, Italy who had been growing it for generations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>