Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, December 24, 2010

Matron's Christmas Dinner

I have never grown Brussels Sprouts until this year. These are an F1 hybrid called 'Bosworth' I really didn't give them any special treatment at all. I just planted them, and firmed them in with a boot and left them to themselves.
Not bad at all!
I had loosened the soil a couple of weeks ago so that when I came to dig up my leeks it was just fine, even covered in snow I had no trouble at all. These are an F1 hybrid called 'Oarsman'
The size of the shaft is really very good, the taste is wonderful, but the tops are not completely hardy. They just feel a little soft to me. I might go back to Musselburgh next year, as I only got about 40 seeds in the packet. F1 hybrids are just too darn expensive!
And finally, my Christmas potato was bought in a little flowerpot a few months ago, I thought I'd give it a go. Well, light levels have been very poor in the last few months, and I kept them in the greenhouse, then latterly in the living room next to the patio door to protect from frost. They died back just a couple of weeks ago... but.......
Ta - daaaaa! Matron is very pleased! Fresh New Potatoes on Christmas Day!
Wishing all you bloggers out there, a tasty Christmas! from Matron & Buddy! xxxx

16 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger islandgal246 said...

Merry Christmas to you too Matron and what a tasty one you will have!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Merry Christmas, Matron! I hope the weather has gotten decent enough for everyone to get where they need to go. I see you will have a wonderful and fresh dinner. I cooked the last of the pumpkins last night.

When did you plant your sprouts and leeks?

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Wyatt said...

That's wonderful. We have never grown brussel sprouts either. Maybe we will give it a go next year.

Wyatt

Merry Christmas!
We are having Jambalaya with some of our canned tomatoes :)

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

A very merry and tasty Christmas to you and yours. I'm very impressed with you having new potatoes for Christmas and your Brussels Sprouts don't look too shabby either. Tara loves Brussels Sprouts.

Hope your new year is filled with doggywogs,gardening, yummy homegrown food and lots of laughter!

Yolanda and Tara XXX

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Petunia - Leeks and sprouts are such slow growers, I think I planted seeds in about March or April. They get planted out when New Potatoes or early broad beans have finished.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Chopped our brussels today too - and brought them home to defrost for Christmas Dinner. Merry Christmas Matron!

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger D said...

You've done a great job. I planted brussel sprouts two years ago and once they set on, they wouldn't get any larger than a marble. Leeks on the other hand have done well and there are many still in the garden to harvest. Good show on the potatoes...another flop of mine with experimenting growing them in pots.

Merry Christmas and happy holiday!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

Replant some of your Oarsman, grow them out and save the seed. Select the best every year to grow on for seed, and you'll soon have your own very similar variety!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

Very nice brussel sprouts and those leaks look pretty amazing too. Merry Christmas!

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Happy Holidays Sarah! Nice sprouts :-)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Hapy Christmas - whatever the weather, you won't be hungry!

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice Matron...Brussels Sprouts, Leeks and Christmas Potatoes...all looking deliciously healthy and ready to be prepared for eating!!! Wishing you Happy Holidays,a Happy New Year and Happy Veggies!

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Matron!
Brussels sprouts are looking perfect! I sowed mine too late and they just started to grow sprouts. I think they might be ready to harvest in early spring.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

A belated Merry Christmas Matron, glad the veggies were productive!

Jane

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Those leeks look amazing! I have still not tried a leek but I hear they're tasty.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Best wishes to you and Buddy for the New Year. I never did get round to sending a doggy picture - sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>