Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Big Butterfly Count

I've certainly noticed fewer butterflies in the garden this year, have you? This time of year the butterflies should be all over the place. If you live in the UK why don't you help scientists discover just how many butterflies are around by joining the Big Butterfly Count. All you have to do is go to www.bigbutterflycount.org and print out a sheet identifying British butterflies you are likely to see. Then choose a sunny day from 16-31st July and sit in your garden (or your allotment!) for 15 minutes and see how many you can see. Simply go to the website and add your findings.

8 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

To the terribly annoying little white ones count? :)

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Such a gorgeous photo. Don't known how good I'd be at that though.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

That sounds like our situation with bees and bats.
Happy counting :)

Wyatt

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Far fewer butterflies around us though I saw a red admiral and a gatekeeper on our tayberry and a few whites searching for a unprotected brassica plant.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I've seen mostly white butterflies in the garden so far. Thanks for info on butterfly count. Kelli

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Lots of whites around here and I'm seeing tortoiseshells (I think) at the City Farm. Other than that I'm not quick enough to photo them or ID them!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a fab way to spend some time with my littl'uns :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Gordon Mason said...

No shortage of Cabbage Whites, or their caterpillars!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>