Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Pumpkin Pie

 So here is the last of my Queensland Blue squash.  Sieved and drained overnight to allow excess moisture to drip out.
 I have used the same recipe which was cut out of a newspaper about 40 years ago!  You can tell how old it is because the liquid measurements in the recipe are for gills.  One gill = about 5oz.  I like to think of it as the size of a single yoghurt pot.
 The mixture does look really thin and watery, but if you put enough eggs in, and my own secret ingredient of a desert spoon of flour to give it a better texture when cooked.
 Then you end up with a pumpkin pie!  It's still cooling so will be eaten tomorrow.
Meanwhile on the veg patch, the sun was shining today for the first time in weeks.  I went to the greenhouse (actually I waded) and planted my precious Paton Twins Giant Pumpkin.  Special seed from a UK award winning giant pumpkin of over 1200 pounds!  I'm preparing a special pumpkin bed as we speak.  Take your marks, get set..... go! 


At 9:59 PM, Blogger Theanne said...

happy huge pumpkin!

your pie is fantastic!

At 4:02 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Ohhh... It looks wonderful! I froze some cooked pumpkin. I may have to get it out for a treat. It will be fun to watch your giant pumpkins progress. DH mowed the tall grass around my vegetable beds, but it is cold, rainy and windy today. I'll get a few more seeds planted tomorrow, inside.

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Sue@G.L. Allotments said...

We had pumpkin pie last year for the first time and it was lovely - although not at all what I expected both in taste and also the fact that it didn't have a lid!

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Caro (UrbanVegPatch) said...

I'm amazed at the keeping qualities of your pumpkin - I had NO idea that they lasted that long and may well have to try and find a bit of room for a pumpkin plant. Nice pie, by the way!

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I always had the idea that pumpkin pie was quintissentially American, and now here is and English pie with Australian pumpkin? Is it a traditional English dish?

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Jo - I did some research on the subject last year (blog post somewhere) it is an old English recipe known as a Norfolk Millions pie. Brought to America by the first British settlers.


Post a Comment

<< Home