Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Spring has Sprung!

 At last Spring has sprung down on the allotment!  This past Winter has been the longest I can remember.  Just in the last couple of days we have had some sunny and warm-ish days and the plants have responded quickly.  I pulled my first few stalks of Rhubarb this afternoon.
 The length of the stalks or the height of this Rhubarb has almost doubled in a week.  Everything is springing up with a vengeance.
 The first pickings of Rhubarb in the Spring are absolutely fantastic.  Not a hint of stringyness, very tender, much less acidic than later pickings, and a bit sweeter.  Just cleaned and chopped up then a sprinkling of sugar and into the microwave for about 5 minutes.
 Nectar!




4 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Nice patch of rhubarb! Mine has barely broken ground....

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Our early variety is ready for picking and then we have later varieties at different stages of growth.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Why I garden... said...

Wow, I think you're the first to harvest rhubarb. I've a little while to wait but should be harvesting in the coming weeks.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Your rhubarb is ahead of mine too. Last year, I dug up all rhubarb and replanted pieces. It is looking like a good start. And I have it sprouting in my hedgerow where I threw the excess from cleaning out the garden.
I'll try some of the young shoots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>