Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, January 25, 2013

Fieldfares

 The Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) is a common Winter visitor nearly as big as a mistle thrush about 10 inches long. It is generally distributed in open wooded country from the outskirts of towns.
 They feed together in the fields, landing first in a hedge and working outwards. They take grubs and worms, and clean the berries from hawthorns and other bushes.
 In hard weather they suffer severely.
 In deep Winter they move to suburban gardens and feed on berries and fallen apples.
 And obviously crab apples too!
 Also seen here running a few steps over the snow and stopping to dig down with their beaks, especially under my Bramley Apple tree.  I must remember not to be so tidy next year, leave fallen apples in a pile for the birds in Winter.
This might make a Christmas card for next year!

8 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Matron that is very thoughtful of you...leaving back a pile of apples as winter food for the birds....I know they will appreciate it.
They're cute brave little things...amazing how they battle the snow to look for food.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Their Latin name is rather unfortunate!

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had one of these in the garden the other day. I thought it was a mistle thrush, but it was definitely a Fieldfare. Love the Christmas card picture.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Absolutely Christmas Card material!!! Great photos, I have so little patience to get photos of birds. Yep, I guess it is good to be a little messy for the birds this time of year. We're getting loads of feathery friends this year (remember we're a new build only are 3rd Winter), but it's taking a lot of bribing, haha. xxxx

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger allot of veg said...

Beautiful. Are you doing the big garden birdwatch this weekend? We've just done ours but no fieldfares.
J

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Great to see your Fieldfare visitors and well done on your first video.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

I like your blog very much! It's very interesting.

In my garden fieldfares eat the paradise apples, too!

I'll be visiting your blog :)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

The last photo would make a very good Christmas card.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>