Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, May 17, 2013

A Wiggly Wiggly Parcel

 A parcel arrived in the post yesterday,  I wonder what the postman thinks when he sees a sticker marked "Urgent - Live Worms"
 Leo was interested in the parcel so he sniffed the invoice!
 You can buy composting worms from Wiggly Wigglers by weight, they come in a bag of compost by first class post.
 Open up the bag and they are nicely packed and looking healthy.
 Should make all the difference in the kitchen compost bin.
 As I turned this kitchen compost bin last week I noticed that nearly all the worms that are usually in there had disappeared. I wonder if the long, cold Winter killed them off? Anyway, they should get to work straight away.


4 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

Your post reminded me that I wanted to buy such worms for my compost, too!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron,I have loads of worms in the compost bin, I don't think I could stand opening a parcel of them!I have stopped putting any citrus peelings into the bin after reading something about them killing off the worms?!
I am off the Chelsea next week with my sister, my first visit but Kathleen's second, I am really looking forward to it

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Hi Peggy! - I'm going to Chelsea on Monday, the RHS invited me to go on press day! so I'll be blogging about it. Enjoy yourself.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

There seem to be lots of worms in our last year's compost - I add them as a 'starter' to the new heap each year.
Does that mean you get in free on Monday?! You can go celeb-spotting? xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>