Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Planting Out

 One of my favourite bean varieties is Blauhilde a purple climbing bean.  Really prolific and very healthy.
 I planted a few in a pot just a week ago, and during the warm weather in the last couple of days they just thrived, so I planted them out today.
 I am growing these climbing beans up the same frame as some sweet peas.  I am trying to encourage the pollinating insects nowadays.
 Elsewhere, my broad beans Masterpiece are about a foot tall now. Enjoying the warm weather.  I think I might plant a second planting just to follow them along.  Another reason for a second planting of broad beans is that if the black fly infest this first crop, they will probably leave my second crop alone!
I decided to plant some of my tomatoes outdoors now.  They have been hardening off outside in their pots for a few days now, but I think the time is right.  You must make your own decision as to whether you think all danger of frost is over.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Dewberry said...

I grew 'blauhilde' 2 years ago, but I was very dissapointed to find out that it turns green while boiling.
But, it has very pretty pink flowers though :)

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Doc said...

Matron,
I love this time of year, everything starting to grow. I have a nice row of the Mrs. Fortunes climbing beans that you so kindly sent a while back. They have become a favorite for the table, actually the only bean we grow now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>