Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, February 03, 2014

Seville Orange Marmalade - Part 2

 So the chopped peel, fruit and pith have been soaking overnight in water.  This extra soaking time really helps extract the pectin from the fruit to enable a really good set.  Acid also helps this process, but as these are an acid fruit anyway, there is really no need.  I used 3lbs Seville Oranges, 6 pints water and 4lbs sugar. The recipe did say 6lbs sugar but I thought I would get away with 4 !
 The orange pips are amazing! These are the richest source of pectin and very often overlooked.  I soaked these in water overnight too. This morning they were a mass of thick jelly stuck together!  I tied them up in a muslin bag to extract a bit more whilst cooking.
 Just boil the orange and the pips in the water for about an hour, without the sugar. The zest takes the most cooking to go soft.  Then add the sugar.
 This takes ages! make sure you set a whole afternoon aside because it can't be rushed.  Boil down slowly until the temperature reaches Jam on the thermometer.  Having said that, I tend to just test it myself to see when it is set, I don't find using a thermometer that helpful.
 I put a plate in the freezer then test a spoonful in the freezer for about 5 minutes.  If it is still watery then test another spoonful, and again and again until it is set enough. Just draw a finger through the cold jelly until it is how you would like it on your toast!
Make sure the jars are sterilized and hot.  Make sure the marmalade has cooled a little then pour it into the jars a little at a time so the glass doesn't crack.  Seal immediately and let it cool.  Stand by for toast pictures at breakfast tomorrow!

2 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Thanks for the info.... We could have thrown away the pips as unwanted ingredients of marmalade.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

I'm not much on marmalade's but this looks like it worth a go. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>