Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Fresh Greens

 My Hurst Greenshaft peas have been ready for some time but today was the first opportunity I had to pick, pod and eat them.
 Even though some of the peas had been ready for quite a while they were all fresh and healthy.
 There wasn't a hard, school dinner bullet to be seen!  Tender and sweet every last one.
enjoyed with my very first courgette Black Forest climbing courgette.  The plant is only small so I don't want to stress it by producing too much fruit just yet. This one grown in a large pot on a patio and up a trellis.   This was delicious! first of many I hope.

6 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

We didn't grow any standard peas this year but ohhh, I've had Hurst green shaft before and they were gorgeous. I love shelling peas :)

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

We didn't grow any standard peas this year but ohhh, I've had Hurst green shaft before and they were gorgeous. I love shelling peas :)

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

nice harvest. It's good that the peas were still tender. I find that over-mature peas are often "floury".

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

Lovely, so it was a nice dinner or so :)

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Catherine: Made with love and garlic said...

The peas look lovely! The weather is so good that I'm trying my hand at planting some (very late!) to see if I can get peas through until September. Curious about your courgette - I assume the fruit is only produced on the ground near the stem, is that right?

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Catherine - no it is a very young plant just out. It is a trailing or climbing courgette. It will climb up 8 or 10 feet on the trellis. Courgettes at every leaf joint.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>