Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Fresh Greens

 My Hurst Greenshaft peas have been ready for some time but today was the first opportunity I had to pick, pod and eat them.
 Even though some of the peas had been ready for quite a while they were all fresh and healthy.
 There wasn't a hard, school dinner bullet to be seen!  Tender and sweet every last one.
enjoyed with my very first courgette Black Forest climbing courgette.  The plant is only small so I don't want to stress it by producing too much fruit just yet. This one grown in a large pot on a patio and up a trellis.   This was delicious! first of many I hope.

6 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

We didn't grow any standard peas this year but ohhh, I've had Hurst green shaft before and they were gorgeous. I love shelling peas :)

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

We didn't grow any standard peas this year but ohhh, I've had Hurst green shaft before and they were gorgeous. I love shelling peas :)

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

nice harvest. It's good that the peas were still tender. I find that over-mature peas are often "floury".

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Dewberry said...

Lovely, so it was a nice dinner or so :)

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Catherine: Made with love and garlic said...

The peas look lovely! The weather is so good that I'm trying my hand at planting some (very late!) to see if I can get peas through until September. Curious about your courgette - I assume the fruit is only produced on the ground near the stem, is that right?

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Catherine - no it is a very young plant just out. It is a trailing or climbing courgette. It will climb up 8 or 10 feet on the trellis. Courgettes at every leaf joint.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>