Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, June 22, 2015

Shooting Star Courgette

 I like to try something different every growing year.  This time I have found a new varitey of Yellow climbing courgette called Shooting Star.  I find that climbing courgettes can really save space in a small patch.  My old, reliable favourite is a climbing courgette called Black Forest.  Let's see if this new one from Thompson & Morgan lives up to expectations.,
 Meanwhile in the greenhouse my Dalizia cucumbers are enjoying life.  This is a small, light green cucumber with a lovely taste.  If I can keep the red spider mites at bay - these should be good.
 These lovely Grandpa's Butterhead lettuce have a beautiful red colour on the leaves.  If I can keep the slugs (and the neighbourhood cats) away - these are hearting up nicely.
and finally, not everything that grows is something that I planted.  This potato is growing out of an opening in my kitchen compost bin.  I will give it a few more weeks to see what develops.  It should have some lovely, fertile compost in there so I am making sure it is watered well.

2 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Surely the neighbourhood cats don't eat the lettuce? I presume they just dig it up (if you let them)?

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Janice Graham said...

Hi Matron - just found your blog via My Veggie Garden. What beautiful photos you have posted. I too grew up going to the allotment with my dad and both grandfathers (Berkhamsted, Herts). I spent absolutely hours there. My granddad used to call it 'on the farm'. Such happy memories. As I was born in 1938 you can imagine how long ago that was !! I now reside in Australia so a different climate for gardening. I will keep following your blog. Many thanks.

Janice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>