Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, July 25, 2015

July Harvest

 The greenhouse tomatoes are quite a few weeks ahead of those planted outside.  These Sungold tomatoes are still my favourite.  The taste is the best of any tomato I have ever grown. That is the best reason of all to grow your own fruit and veg.
 My Joe's Long Cayenne chilli are coming along nicely.  I am growing them this year to try to compete in a Guinness World Record for growing the longest chilli.  As yet there is no record, so whoever wins this year gets in the record books!  Worth a try at least!
 Elsewhere on the patch, these Rouge Vif D'Etamps pumpkins are coming along too.  They will ripen to a lovely rich, golden colour just right for making pumpkin pies!
 I have never tried growing melons until this year.  This is a small variety which matures quickly.  This is a Minnesota Midget melon.  Fingers crossed if the weather stays warm that I will be harvesting my first ever melon!
 This is a brand new variety of courgette called Shooting Star.  It is supposed to be the first, ever yellow climbing courgette.  I am not that impressed actually.  The courgettes are thin and tasteless. Not nearly as prolific as my Black Forest climbing courgettes grown in the same conditions in previous years.  Worth trying new things from time to time, but not this one.
My perennial favourite bush courgette is Defender.  Always a good do-er, extremely prolific and goes on for ages!  Just what a girl needs!

5 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

There's quite a yellow theme in your veg this time... The pumpkin is particularly impressive - the colour is really vibrant at that stage.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Everything looking good down on the allotment. I picked my first two ripe toms of the season yesterday.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Pity about those tasteless courgettes but everything else is super duper! Hope you become a Record Breaker and I am excited to see your melons, haha.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Your garden looks great. We have been enjoying our little Sungold tomatoes too. Keep us posted on your melon crop. Our Minnesota Midgets are about the size of billard balls now, but we have had an exceptionally HOT summer.

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Looking good I wish I'd grown some Sungold this year. I do have Joe's Long and Rouge Vif d'Etamps on the go which look great at this time of year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>