Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Hampton Court Palace Flower Show

I had a brilliant day yesterday at the RHS Hampton Court Flower Show - actually it's not JUST flowers I am glad to say. There is much more to see.
 It is just enormous!  Highly recommended for a brilliant day out, even if like me, you are not that in to flowers or gardening, there is plenty for the allotment grower, outdoor living, garden design or for the history buff.
 I rekon you could design a beautiful show garden using vegetables and fruit alone!  Someone should make an edible show garden.  Any volunteers?
 Certainly more attention to edible gardening at the show this year. Growing your own fruit and veg is a serious business and lots of people are seeing and tasting the benefits of traceable, healthy and very fresh food.
One of the most beautiful gardens was from the Turkish Tourist Board.  This garden was lined with pomegranate trees!  I have seen these growing quite well in the UK, If you can get a plant established they might do well in a sheltered spot.
Pomegranate trees have wonderful orange flowers that look a bit like a carnation - they die back and develop into a fruit.
And Monty was there as well! The weather is set to be really hot this week, up into the 90s so keep watering!

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Looks fabulous Matron

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I am so jealous that you are able to go to all these amazing shows - I have been invited but the plane fare, hotel, food, car hire etc... It just isn't worth it.
I love my show garden live through you Matron!

Fabulous photos and yes, why not have a completely beautiful edible garden? I say you ought to start a craze! xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>