Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

How to Pickle Walnuts Part 3

 This is quite a long process but let's see if it is worth the effort.   So these green walnuts have been in brine for 2 weeks now.  Brine was changed once a week ago.  Drain the walnuts and lay them out on a tray.
 They should be air dried in a warm place for 3 to 5 days until they are completely dry and have turned black.  The irony is now, that in the UK we have just had a week of amazing sunshine and heat - which is now gone as heavy rain is expected later today for a few days.  I will have to find somewhere where the mice (or Labradors) don't get at them.  Perhaps the airing cupboard.
Do still be careful when handling the walnuts, the juice will stain badly so please wear gloves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>