Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, April 24, 2017

Pear Tree Pollination

 Last year I bought an espalier Williams pear tree.  It grows in my small London courtyard garden in a pot, but really needs a pollination partner to properly set fruit.  So a couple of weeks ago I took it for a little pollination holiday to my Sister's allotment where she has a Conference pear tree.  They were in flower at the same time so it looks like a good match.  
 You can cross pollinate with another variety in the same, or adjoining, pollination groups.  Basically, as long as the trees are in flower at the same time, it can cross pollinate.  So my Williams pear is a B group pollinator, and is in flower at the same time with this Conference which is an A group.  Confused?  This handy guide explains it better.
 So it looks as if I have a fairly good fruit set now, so my little tree was carefully brought back home yesterday.  Williams is partially self-fertile but as long as there is another compatible pear tree within a few gardens, the bees will do the hard work.
 Now safely back home and settled down in the garden again.
Watch out for night time frosts!  We might be having warm days at the moment, and my tomato plants are really doing well - but I think I will bring them inside tonight just to be sure.

3 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Hazel said...

We had a frost last night here in the urban Midlands, Matron - and the forecast is cold for the rest of the week. You are right to bring in the tomatoes, I think!

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you are looking forward to a nice crop this year?
I hope the bees will do its job well with my cherry tree. Last year I had only five cherries.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger SUSSEXMOUSE said...

Now I know why our little Pear Tree is not happy and produces at the most 3 Pears !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>