Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Oxford Covered Market

Last week I had a spare day and decided to make a visit to the Oxford Covered Market.  I love this traditional old market filled with produce of every imaginable kind.  The greengrocers here has such a wonderful display.
 Many different varieties and colours of carrots and beetroot on sale.  Makes a lovely change from the aenemic plastic vegetables in supermarkets.
 and the pie shop! Lunchtime was bekoning and there was every kind of pie imaginable here,
 and speaking of colours, white asparagus locally grown in the Wye valley.
 Purple asparagus...
and green asparagus too.  Nothing beats fresh veggies in season does it?

                                       
And one of the other reasons I went to visit Oxford was to visit Christ Church College.  One of the most beautiful of all the Oxford colleges.  But that wasn't the only reason...

                                             
The old staircase at Christ Church College was used during the filming of the Harry Potter films.  You might recognise this as it was the main staircase in Hogwarts School!   But on the day I visited it was just teeming with Muggles!

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger Hazel said...

Thank you for reminding me of the produce market, Matron - I'll be meeting in Oxford with my big sis for our annual Girl's Weekend in a couple of weeks, and this really must go on the list of Things To Do. I think that we hear the Inspector Morse/Lewis music in the city rather than Harry Potter overtures, but enjoy it thoroughly nonetheless.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger She Who Digs said...

Hi Matron, lovely to see that you're still growing and blogging. I'm starting a new blog and plot, if you'd like to drop by soon, SWD xx. (shewhodigsagain)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>