Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 27, 2017

July Pickings

 I love these Uchiki Kuri squash!  They are small enough to be able to harvest and eat without too much waste.  They are a lovely Winter keeper if you ripen the skins well in Autumn. They taste great!... and they are small enough to climb up a trellis or up a wall.  Here I have my small South facing wall where I climb lots of different veggies together.
 I love trying new varieties, this one is a Delizia cucumber.  Really lovely thin skin and a beautiful texture and flavour.  Quite prolific too!  Growing up against my South facing wall jungle!
 Sungold is my favourite tomato!  The best flavour of all and a really good, strong plant.  Worth the extra money to pay for F1 seeds, but these plants grow up to 10 feet tall if you let them!
 The only down side to Sungold is that they do tend to split if you don't pick them when ripe.  A sudden shower of rain when they are ripe is enough to swell and split the skins.  I do pick them straight away after this because the fruit flies tend to gather around them.
 The Alicante tomatoes are just starting to ripen too.  Growing in planting bags with metal supports for the canes, you can grow tomatoes like this almost anywhere.
The best news of all is that Daisy doesn't seem to like eating tomatoes! So I get them all to myself! Yaay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>