Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Peach Tree Pollination

 Look at my peach tree! Beautiful peach blossom is usually one of the first fruit trees to come into flower.  This espalier pruned tree is up against a sheltered South facing wall. 
 As they flower so early in the season, pollination by bees and other insects might be problematic, and hand pollination with a soft paintbrush is usually advised, but I noticed something wonderful this week.
 I planted the peach next to two, large rosemary bushes either side of it which also appear to be in flower right now, at the same time as the peach blossom. 
So the mass of flowers on the rosemary bushes here is encouraging bees to come over to pollinate, and they are also flying on to my peach tree to pollinate that too!   I am waiting a few more weeks before pruning the peach tree.  Peaches are one fruit tree that you do NOT prune in Winter with other fruit trees.  They must be pruned in early Summer when all danger of viruses like Silver Leaf disease or peach leaf curl are over.  These viruses are active over Winter and I must wait until the weather warms up a bit before pruning this espalier.

5 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger Hazel said...

Seems early to be in bloom, Matron - or has Spring just caught me out this year?

Your first season in the new place will be a voyage of discovery!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

OH MY GOODNESS - I AM IN LOVE! what gorgeous delicate flowers; what a colour and with lavender against that white wall = heavenly xxx

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

hope you got some lovely fruit to foloow on from the blossoms. xx

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Well done you for your master stroke of planting lavender either side. The blossoms are stunning!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Daisy Debs said...

Oh ! Your Peach tree is so beautiful in full bloom against the white wall . How is it doing today ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>