Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 04, 2018

Hot Stuff!

 I've been picking chillis nearly every day now.  Wait until they are fully red and then harvest them.  This will enable unripe chillis on the plant to develop. Don't leave them on the plant when they are ready to be picked, you will inhibit the ripening of the others.
 So these Transylvanian Targu Mures chillis are on a plate in my airing cupboard. 
 Same here with these Joe's Long Cayenne chillis. Drying slowly in a warm cupboard.
 Meanwhile back on the plot, these Physalis are beginning to ripen.  Hanging underneath the branches these plants look really lush and healthy.
 I planted two plants here next to each other, they need a partner for good pollination.
And here they are!  Really lovely, sweet fruit.  I can highly recommend giving them a go.

3 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

Good looking chillies, Matron

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

hot stuff indeed! Those chillies are wildly impressive and there are so many :) Physalis are always so wonderful to look at but sadly I don't like the taste. it is great when you get one on your dessert though, makes one feel posh :)

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Awesome Welles said...

Do you know what variety the Physalis are? I have a couple of types which I have grown (a dwarf type which sets fruit outdoors and a larger type "Schönbrunn Gold" which is more suited to growing under glass. I love the taste of the "Schönbrunn Gold" (it's sweet but also tart, juicy but also has a crispness to it) but I am really looking for something that ripens outdoors. Did you save any seed from your plants? If so then I would be interested in them and would be happy to swap some of mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>