Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Matron's Tits

You may remember that earlier in the Spring I attempted construction of my first titbox. Well I am pleased to announce the birth of a family of Great Tits. Parents have been flying in and out of the box, on average about every 3 or 4 minutes throughout the day. I stood at the ready inside my greenhouse waiting for the bird to return with a beakfull of food. You can see here a flying entry. Moments later, after much squeaking inside the box, the tit flies out carrying a white faecal sack (that's baby bird poo folks!)
Whilst on the subject of nest boxes, can I recommend a visit to the Dorset Wildlife Trust Kestrelcam. You can hear and see live pictures of a kestrel sitting on it's nest. Thrilling stuff.

6 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Great picture. I'm glad they like your box, I remember reading that post.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Rhiannon said...

So cool that they are in your clever construction, it shows that they knew it was meant for them.
When we got a new central heating system a hole was left where the overflow had been. I noticed sparrows going in and out of it recently. Panic. When we looked nothing in the loft as the hole has been sealed on the inside, so they must be living in my cavity wall.
So we have a accidental bird home not sure if I will be able to get photos unless I stand on the garage!!

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Okay... I have to admit to this even though I should not... when I read the title to this blog entry I immediately thought this was about a nudist beach you might have visited whilst away on your recent travels! LOL! "Matron's Tits" did not conjure up images of a birds! LOL!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh that must be a joy to watch. I can't wait for the babies to try their little wings out for the first time. I am hoping that you now live in the greenhouse with the camera always at the ready?!!

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun!

Sue from A Corner Garden

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous easygardener said...

I've got Blue tits doing the same thing. It's amazing how often the parents bring back food - they must be worn out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>