Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Perfect Growing Conditions

I was researching how to grow my new Japanese Horseradish (Wasabi) plant and did some research online.  Growing conditions are similar to that of watercress, ie in shaded running water by a stream.  The best I came up with here is putting the pot in a bucket under a dripping tap on a North facing wall.  Looks to be thriving!

7 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Ingenious! Will you use the root to make wasabi? I have a huge horseradish plant and have grated the roots for sauce but there's rather a lot of roots leftover!

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a good idea...

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a good idea...

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We are going to have a go with watercress this year.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Limo Hire said...

Yeh good thinking and looks like the plant agrees :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger VP said...

Hmmm. Gravel beds...

I was thinking more of a bog garden approach using an old tyre under the apple trees on the allotment. I wonder whether I can get away with non-running water, just like you can with watercress?

It's been really noticeable how much wasabi really hates bright light.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

You are always willing and able to try something new to grow and eat!Tumbler Toms are probably much better grown in baskets as you show than on the ground in pots where I have mine?!Nettle tea is something I intend to try and had forgotten about until reading down your posts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>