Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Swelling Fruits

 The long, cold Winter resulted in a fine display of apple blossom this Spring, but it looks as if it is going to be another good year for fruit.  These apples have set quite well and are enjoying the warm weather.
 Definite signs of life on this Sungold tomato plant.  After a very, very slow start we are now trying to catch up. This is a greenhouse tomato plant, the others outside are a bit further behind.
 I overwintered one of my Black Pearl Chilli plants from last year on a sunny windowsill over the Winter.  I cut the stems right back in Spring and gave it some heat and light in the greenhouse propagator.  Chilli plants are perennial given the right conditions, these lovely leaves will turn purple and black and will fruit with small, black, chillis.
 The purple tomatillo plants are enjoying the sunshine outside now.  I bought these seeds in Texas back in March, and they seem to be quite sturdy little plants.  In fact, in previous years I have had volunteer tomatillo plants popping up in Spring all over my patch on their own!  Tomatillo plants need to be planted together in groups to aid pollination.
 I am disappointed with the results of my nematode worm slug treatment.  I bought a packet of Nemaslug and followed the directions to the letter.  I kept the soil wet for 2 weeks after application (not hard in my London clay soil) but my beautiful Blauhilde beans have been eaten to death!  I wonder if Nemaslug kills snails as well?  Aren't they just slugs with shells?
Finally my Masterpiece Broad Beans are shooting up.  Now tall enough to get staked and tied up for support.  I am really looking forward to these.

9 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

All looking good on your plot! It's a slow slow start here in SW Suffolk, cucubits yet to germinate and peas planted in the pigeon proof pen have a long way to go before they flower.
But have some nice Heritage Seed Library lettuces called 'Stoke' :-)
xx

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I have a feeling nemaslug doesn't kill snails as it is watered onto the ground I'm guessing the nematodes live in the soil where they find slugs but snails tend to be above soil creatures.

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Matt said...

I'm over in Herefordshire and the apple blossom this year has been amazing - I'm hoping for a bumper crop after the disappointments of last year!

And, interestingly, I had the same experience as you with Nemaslug. I've barely seen a slug in the garden but the snails have been munching away. I've no idea if this is down to the Nemaslug or just the conditions, though.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger --Ana-- said...

All of your plants and seedlings look really great. I always wanted a Black pearl chilli but I just can find seeds here.
Sorry but I just have to ask: What does tomatillo taste like? ☺ we don't have them here and I've never tried one ☺

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Leanan - tomatillo is quite a mild, watery taste and if left to ripen properly can develop sweetness. Probably best enjoyed in a chilli salsa with other flavours. I think I would describe the inside texture as a cross between a tomato and a water melon.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Your plot is in great shape after the slow start,our tomatoes are just budding blossom at this stage even indoors!Well done with the chilli plant in keeping it going over winter and ready to produce again.

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Love this time of year, so much promise.

Wyatt's mom

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Tigger's Mum said...

Decimated by slugs last year despite using Nemaslug twice. I've used Strulch (google that)this year - expensive but a handful around each plant appears to be working - no slug or snail damage on anything yet... lettuces, beans, peas, brassicas, courgettes... I might have just jinxed that.

Tigger's Mum

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Matt - I tried to post a comment on your blog but can't see anywhere where I can leave one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>