Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Favourite Places

 The garden at RHS Wisley in Surrey is one of my favourite places.  To be more specific, the vegetable garden is the place where I feel most at home. 
 Lovely straight rows of veggies, lots to look at and compare with my own.
 I do envy their lovely sandy soil here in Surrey, but we have to make do with what we have on our own patch and then find things that like it.  Matron's allotment is on lumpy London clay.
 Always pleasing to see that even the best plots suffer with pests having a nibble on their brassicas.  I suspect this was a rabbit!
 Oh, but the highlight of the trip today was to see the amazing selection of vegetable plants in the garden centre shop.  I don't think I have ever seen such a fantastic selection for the veggie grower.  I couldn't resist buying just a few more plants for my patch.
Most of all I couldn't resist buying this... Japanese Wasabi.  Might be a bit tricky finding the right conditions for it. I understand that it is now grown here in Hampshire on gravelly watercress bed.  Apparently it likes shady damp, moist conditions with lots of fresh running water. I will have to think about providing ideal growing conditions.   I will have to think of some damp, gravelly environment to keep it happy. Has anyone tried this yet?

5 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, all the veggies look really good, I am sure your new purchase will settle in your garden. I haven't got experience growing it yet. I am sticking to rather common veggies this year, trying out the possibilities of my soil - as it's a first year of gardening for me.
Good luck with Wasabi! :)

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

looks great but my experience of risley was dismay at the entrance fee.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We would like to visit Wisley one day but it would have to be a few days away really as it is too far to travel for just a day for us

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh my, oh my - such perfect lines so much interesting stuff :) Wasabi?? Love it but never knew you could grow it here. Best of luck x

Isn't it just so cheekily wonderful to see even the pros have pest problems, lol xxx

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Dan said...

That is an amazing place! Everything is so neat and tidy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>