Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, March 14, 2014

Greenhouse Cleaning

 I took advantage of the warm Spring weather in the last couple of days to clear out the greenhouse.  A good wash, sweep and clean still isn't really enough to get rid of any lingering pests which hide in the cracks and crevices.  So today I bought a Sulphur Candle in the garden centre.
 I cleaned the greenhouse, then replaced some of the empty pots as they may still hide some pests. Red spider mite is a tiny little sand coloured insect which gradually sucks the life out of juicy green plants in the greenhouse.  My cucumbers have been particularly badly effected.  I try to keep the humidity levels high but it just gets worse year after year.
 For the past several years my red spider mite problem has become worse and worse.  I have blogged about it in the past here and have also used biological controls to try to help but I think that poor hygiene and cleaning may also be a factor.
 So.. the tin contains sulphur, with a waxed paper wick.  Just light the paper and the sulphur gradually melts to an amber liquid.
Once the wick is lit, the smoke starts to fill the greenhouse. I made a rapid exit as the smell already tickled my throat.  I will leave the greenhouse completely shut ovenight then will ventilate thoroughly tomorrow before starting my Spring planting.  I hope this helps get rid of these red spider mites for a while.

5 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Best of luck with those blasted mites! I bet a sulphur candle just smells delightful, haha. Sorry to see such a sad cucumber plant :(

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Sometimes these drastic measures a necessary. Hope it does the job.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Sometimes these drastic measures a necessary. Hope it does the job.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Pumpkin Lady said...

Fingers crossed you get rid of the mites!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I hope it works for you as I know what its like to see ones produce ruined by pests such as these. My biggest problem in the greenhouse is whitefly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>