Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Tomatillo Salsa

I picked my first crop of Tomatillo today. These are a vegetable which are commonly used in Mexican cooking, most often to make salsa:

1lb green tomatillos, 4 chillies, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp salt, black pepper, 3 spring onions, 1 bunch parsley.

Remove the husk from the tomatillos and wash thoroughly. Boil them in a pan of water until soft and drain them. Allow to cool, then place all ingredients and chop in a blender, leaving a few chunks. Allow to refrigerate for several hours.

Still plenty of time for anyone to contribute to my forthcoming DOGBLOG on or around 20th August. I will be posting a special blog dedicated to our canine friends who supervise, assist or guard our gardens, water our veggies, carry our trowells, chew our flowerpots. See blog on 5th August for details. If you know of any garden blogger who might like to enter, please let them know.

7 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Billie-Jean said...

Hi Marton,thankyou for the comment,I have looked on the site,unfortunatly they dont have an online shop at the moment but they are lovely and just what I am looking for,like I said in my reply on my site to you,I will go to a carboot sale or a market one day and there will be one on the stall (them not knowing what it is) and say "oh give us a pound for it" if only eh?

Still looking for a trug...looked everywhere..

B-J x

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Stunned Donor said...

Matron, First off, I'm going to find out the variety of cucumber you asked about, it's a matter of walking up to the garden centre and pawing through their seed racks, I'd like to grow them again.

Second, I love tomatillo salsa and I'll pass along a cooking tip, instead of boiling the tomatillos, slice them in half and toss them with a little extra virgin olive oil and some salt and then roast them in the oven until they start to go brown. When they're cool, scrape the whole pan, juices and all into a bowl and then make your salsa. I'd also recommend some coriander leaves aka cilantro as well.

Cheers!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger RUTH said...

saw your comment on Petunias Garden about growing lemon cucumber and thought I'd pop over for a look at your blog. I'm really impressed with the vegetables you grow; some interesting varieties. Happy Gardening :o)

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Steven, That sounds much better! I was wondering whether boiling was appropriate. Roasting sounds like more flavour will be kept. Thanks!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Muum said...

I just clean and chop my tomatillos raw and throw them in the salsa, it is a fresh, clean taste. Have never roasted them or cooked them, maybe I'll try that, too.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Matron said...

I did actually make my salsa yesterday. I roasted them. It had a fine flavour, lots of interesting flavours in there. Next picking I will use them raw and see what happens.

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

You can also cook them -- whole -- in a ungreased cast iron skillet, Use high heat, and knock them around occasionally until they start to blister and blacken.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>