Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Matron Doesn't Do Flowers!

I don't do flowers! You can't eat flowers! Well, here is the exception - we are in full flow down on the purple sprouting broccoli (PSB) patch. One day I pick a whole bag full, and then a few days later it is like I was never there, a whole load more appears. My magic broccoli! I really don't do any other brassicas because I have such a small patch I cannot afford to have something in the ground for almost a whole year. This must be the exception, I have been batting off slugs, pigeons, squirrels, dogs, caterpillars, slugs, whitefly and more caterpillars for a year. For next year I have just bought some extra early PSB called 'Rudolph' which should crop in January. In that case I will look forward to an extended season.

11 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

It looks magnificent Matron....all that delicious, iron laden, tasty goodness.

(I don't do no flowers neither!)

GM

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff isn't it. Lovely taste. I agree brassicas take up a lot of space but sprouting broccoli is the one to grow if you can manage it.
I like the matching bowl!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger RobD said...

You should do flowers! It's good for attracting bees for pollination, looks good (esp. with daffs in early spring) and saves a fortune in florist bills - well it does for me ;>) Nice PSB though!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Yes, you can eat flowers :
Pot Marigolds
Squash flowers
Chive flowers etc etc !
There must be more ?

TTFN

Gary

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Lovely PSB Matron!
Due to lack of planning (tsk!!!) I had only 2 very small PSB plants, we ate one last night and it was so delicious I've vowed to grow a mega crop for next spring - may need to dig another veg bed!

Celia

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Mrs Be said...

What a treat!Do you plant Rudolph ones now? Hmmm...something lovely to look forward to in January!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Wow, thats looks fantastic, I love PSB too! Is it easy to grow, I've got some seed I think so I'll have to look and see when to plant it.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo of the PSB - ours is doing well,too. We suddenly seem to have lots of friends - as we have so much to give away!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Hiya Matron, I had terrible whitefly problems on my brassicas last year, how did you control the ones you had on your broccoli? Bob.

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Following up on my earlier post. Just to let you know I've left you an award on my blog.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Well, you have already read on my blog that you can actually eat many flowers. Have you tried that soup yet? And how was the PSB?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>