Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, May 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Blog!


Here are my tomato cuttings! With the encouragement and photo from UKBob I decided to give it a try, seeing that these tomato seeds were about £1 each I thought it would be worth it. Looks like good progress!

My blog is 2 years old today!! Happy Birthday Blog! What a wonderful and interesting pastime blogging is? Believe it or not I do actually have a very busy professional job outside of my garden, but still I find time to dig my soil and write my blog! 2 years ago it was my buddy Stan who persuaded me that people might like to share my gardening experiences on a blog. I was not convinced to say the least... it wouldn't work, nobody would be interested.. in fact, Stan himself has discovered veggie gardening himself in a big way... yaaaay!
I wonder why these delicious little fruit are called straw-berries? Well, to stop the berries getting damp from laying on the soil, you put straw underneath!
These globe artichokes are getting bigger day by day. Today this one is the size of an orange, I think I will make it a little fleece covering and tie it round the stem. So far it appears un-discovered by blackfly, but I won't risk it much longer.
Finally, looks like it is going to be a good year for apples!

10 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

wow! how did you do the tomato graftings??? amazing...

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger themanicgardener said...

I tried tomato cuttings a couple of years ago, making it up out of my head--I've never met anyone else who did. Good to know!

Your garden looks beautiful. I'm green with envy, (not with foliage, as my plots are mostly brown still) because you're so far ahead of us folks stuck in the northern US (Montana, in my case.) We can't possibly grow globe artichokes here. Ah well--
--kate

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the tomato cuttings took - I'm still amazed at the whole idea.
Happy 2nd birthday.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger allie aller said...

Happy Birthday!
I've been a happy reader of yours for several months, led to you by Judith of the "Threadspider" blog.
My husband is the vegetable gardener..I grow the flowers...
I am always showing him what you are up to...You are about 3 weeks ahead of us, here in the Pacific NW (near Portland).
Anyway, just wanted to thank you...and I will keep reading!
Allie

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

happy blog birthday!!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Well happy second blog birthday! I'm glad you took up blogging, your friend Stan was right it seems. ;-)

How wonderful that your cuttings have rooted!!!!

So far my artichokes are without black fly but you are right it's best to cover them with a bit of fleece to prevent the black fly from discovering them.

My apple trees are looking very promising too, my pear tree not so much.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Congrats on 2 years of posting! And all of your fruits and veggies here look great. :0)

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, I see your tomato cuttings rooted ok. Bob.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger tina said...

Two years! Congrats! What an accomplishment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>