Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Rhubarb!

My rhubarb this year has been fantastic! I planted some new crowns last January and didn't pick any at all last Summer. I just mulched and watered it and gave it extra special treatment to build up the crowns. I enjoy it cooked in the microwave with some sugar, then eaten cold with a spoonful of raspberries. Another way I enjoy rhubarb is to use the rhubarb juice mixed with champagne!! The most English bucks fizz you can imagine! Thanks to a fellow blogger Greenmantle for that idea.

7 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Mmmmmm, that's made my mouth water! I only planted my crowns last week - but they're already showing signs of life, so I'll look forward to trying it your way next year!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

Your servant Ma'am.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet said...

I harvested my first swedish rhubarb yesterday and cooked it with a bit of freshly squeezed orange juice and a cinnamon stick. After it had cooled I added some brown sugar. Very yummy it was. Must try the bucks fizz!

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous easygardener said...

I've just picked my first lot of rhubarb - always loved it. I like it with custard or cream!

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Soilman said...

I don't like rhubarb, but yours looks so beautiful I'm tempted...

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Kayle Garkut said...

We picked our first lot on Saturday. My partner made a lovely Rhubarb crumble that I had with hot custard last night - yummy! We cheat with the crumble by simply breaking up a packet of digestive biscuits, mixing butter into the crumbs then applying the mixture to the top of cooled down, boiled (with sugar)/strained rhubarb. We then sprinkle sugar over the top of that and bang it in the over for a little while for the sugar and butter to melt thus binding the top and crisping it off.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I love rhubarb but have never grown it. I am now planning space for it though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>