Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Rhubarb!

My rhubarb this year has been fantastic! I planted some new crowns last January and didn't pick any at all last Summer. I just mulched and watered it and gave it extra special treatment to build up the crowns. I enjoy it cooked in the microwave with some sugar, then eaten cold with a spoonful of raspberries. Another way I enjoy rhubarb is to use the rhubarb juice mixed with champagne!! The most English bucks fizz you can imagine! Thanks to a fellow blogger Greenmantle for that idea.

7 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Mmmmmm, that's made my mouth water! I only planted my crowns last week - but they're already showing signs of life, so I'll look forward to trying it your way next year!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

Your servant Ma'am.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I harvested my first swedish rhubarb yesterday and cooked it with a bit of freshly squeezed orange juice and a cinnamon stick. After it had cooled I added some brown sugar. Very yummy it was. Must try the bucks fizz!

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just picked my first lot of rhubarb - always loved it. I like it with custard or cream!

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like rhubarb, but yours looks so beautiful I'm tempted...

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Kayle Garkut said...

We picked our first lot on Saturday. My partner made a lovely Rhubarb crumble that I had with hot custard last night - yummy! We cheat with the crumble by simply breaking up a packet of digestive biscuits, mixing butter into the crumbs then applying the mixture to the top of cooled down, boiled (with sugar)/strained rhubarb. We then sprinkle sugar over the top of that and bang it in the over for a little while for the sugar and butter to melt thus binding the top and crisping it off.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I love rhubarb but have never grown it. I am now planning space for it though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>