Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, May 02, 2008

A New Arrival in the Family..

My Sister took posession of two hens today! Here they are in a cat-basket on the way home. These two are a breed called Bovan Goldline, which is a cross between Rhode Island Red and Light Sussex. Supposed to be easy to keep for beginners. Recent reports indicate that they have been tucking into a treat of squished snails! These point of lay birds were running round a field in the Cotswolds this morning... A bit scarey for them being taken away in a cat-box but I wonder how they feel about living in Cricklewood?
My Crimson flowered Broad Bean gets more spectacular day by day!
Has anyone noticed how much apple blossom there is around this year? It seems that the trees are smothered in blossom at the moment. Let's hope my Bramley does better than it did last year.
Finally, here is Buddy trying to look excited at how much everything has grown in the last couple of days.. Behind him you can just see my purple podded peas. Actually I think he was enjoying getting his paws muddy.

5 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

How lucky of your sister to get chickens! I'm also thinking about it (don't know what my dogs would think about it). That Crimson flowered Broad Bean sure is a beauty!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Matron, those crimson flowers are gorgeous, such an improvement on the old black and white broadbean flowers. Here I have a lot of apple blossom too. Hopefully that means lots of apples later in the year.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

wow, you must be having warmer weather there. Buddy is joining in the spring thing and getting his paws muddy, my hands are much the same today.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

I think Matron is going to get chicken "fever" soon. Seriously - give it a try....you will love it!!! Yay for asparagus...if you had chickens you could have your egg and asparagus breakfast : )

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

If they go to a good home they will be very happy in cricklewood!:) and reward your sister with lovely fresh eggs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>