Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 14, 2008

News from the Greenhouse

Just look at these! Over the past couple of days I noticed that my tomatoes had changed from a green colour, to a paler green, and now for definite there are signs of ripening. This is phenomenally early for a beefsteak type tomato which usually fruit later in the Summer. This is a new variety this year from the Thompson & Morgan catalogue, it is 'Country Taste' - I will leave it to ripen really well, apparently the lycopene levels in tomatoes rise substantially the longer you leave them to go really ripe on the plant.
Meanwhile elsewhere my potted sweet pepper seems to be making an effort too!
You can see that her little Sisters are not far behind either!
Going great guns in the greenhouse are these Moneymaker tomato. Still no signs of red spider mite following my treatment with a natural pest control a few weeks ago. Awaits the acid test in August when things really heat up in there.

6 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Those toms look good. We've started to get a few Sungold - always early - and the first Golden Sunrise yesterday. This is very sweet, but a bit bland to my taste. Still, it will definitely add colour to a salad. Your beefsteaks seriously early!

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had my first Sungold ripen - on an outside plant oddly enough. The greenhouse ones are still unripe.A week or two of sun would be handy.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Dan said...

oh how I wish my tomatoes will start to ripen....

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Hi Matron! The vegetables look very healthy. That information about lycopene content going up by allowing the tomato to ripen on the plant is interesting; i'll ensure that i follow the advice.
'Moneymaker Tomatoes'! they look very cute and interesting too. Why are they called so?

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Hi Green Thumb! - Not sure why someone named them Moneymaker - perhaps they are prolific and reliable. They are one of the most widely known and widely grown varieties over here.

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they are called money maker because they are a reliable, predictable, and robust variety --many times this is the spp. grown for commercial use

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>