Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bramley Apples

What a fantastic year for Bramley Apples! So many of mine are beginning to fall off the tree that it is time to pick them and store them. I only had to hold each apple and twist very gently and they were all just so ready to come off the tree that only a little breeze or a frost would have them all spoiled. Bramleys are the most famous British cooking apples. A bit too sharp to eat, but fantastic flavour for cooking. There is a British fruit grower Ken Muir who offers for sale cuttings from the original apple tree which is still alive in a garden in Nottinghamshire. This tree was planted from a pip in about 1805 and is still going strong. What an interesting piece of history. I have picked mine now and I keep them spread on a mesh tray in the dark garage. Dark and cold is the secret for keeping apples...... now what to do with them all?

5 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Our Bramley is having one of it's best years too! I picked the two biggest and blushiest and we baked them stuffed with raisins, sultanas, walnuts, muscavado sugar and butter. A fluffy, toffee flavoured yummy treat!

We've also had pork chops cooked with big chunks of Bramley and red onions - mmmmmm!

But loads left over - I grate some into my porridge for breakfast too.

Celia
x

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

It looks so delicious and beautiful do you know the botanical name? / LOL Tyra

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was was watching a gardening programme on TV the other day and it was said that apples can be stored in a a plastic bag. He said place the apples in a plastic bag pierce the bag with holes and store the bag in a dark cold place. He said that the plastic bag kept the apples moist which helped them last longer.

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just made some lovely (even if I do say so myself!) apple and ginger jam - my husband eats porridge every day through the winter, and this jam adds to the warming nature of the breakfast - the apple and sugar bring the sweetness, while the ginger warms your throat and drives out any throat bugs on the way down!

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just made an experimental batch of spiced apple jam - and it's lovely so I'm going to make lots more with some of the lbs of apples still left on my tree...will post the recipe soon on the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>