Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, November 13, 2008

More Last Pickings!

I haven't been out to my greenhouse for a couple of weeks, much too gloomy and wet down there. For want of anything better to do today I ventured out there and found a wonderful late Autumn surprise. All the foliage of these Moneymaker tomatoes had died back but there were just about half a dozen still edible. Skins might be a bit thick, but the taste is the best I am going to get until next May. Likewise these Sungold-ish tomatoes..... You might remember earlier in the season I was having trouble ripening these tomatoes. Well, they never did ripen!! something in the genetics perhaps? but these were from seed which a couple of generations ago were Sungold F1 but they have reverted back into a larger, plum shaped tomato which does not ripen. Perhaps the big supermarkets would be interested in these... theirs never ripen properly either! They were like this back in June - Wow! a 6-month shelf life!
They are vaguely edible, if you like them sharp! I might splash out next year and buy some F1 seeds.

6 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite tomato Sungold F1 and it ripens very early - you obviously got the lazy parental half!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Nice one !

It's always worth a rummage at this time of year.
Only a couple of days ago I found a few raspberries, and I had already given up on seeing any !

TTFN

Gary

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I had some rogue tomatoes in October that were on very similar looking plants as yours. The last tastes of summer.

Do you have to grow tomatoes in greenhouses in your climate? Do you leave them in the greenhouse all summer?

I have seen greenhouses used for tom's in Western Canada but never in Southern Ontario. That is unless its hydroponic tomatoes.

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Late fruit! I just found a cluster of grapes that I had forgotten about for over a month. They, however, were delicious!
http://slcveggies.blogspot.com

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Kath said...

My Sungold F2 all ripened - but some were definitely plum-shaped. I'll be interested in what F3 brings!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I picked the last of my Gardners Delight about a month ago, I took a load of green ones off to make chutney as I had the first sign of blight. I did get some late raspberries about a week ago as I was clearing out the fruit cage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>