Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, October 17, 2008

A Day out at Wisley

Scrump - v.tr. Brit colloq. steal (fruit) from an orchard or garden .....oh dear! that doesn't sound good.

Matron and Stan went to RHS Garden at Wisley today. There is an Autumn festival on this weekend, if you get a chance I can recommend it. If you have an apple tree in your garden and it is unidentified, well now is your chance to take some samples to the experts and have it identified for free. Normally there is a charge of £16 for non-members! Of course we went scrumping in the orchard! Such wonderful varieties "Pomeroy of Somerset" and "Winter Banana" to name but a couple. To see more of our adventures have a look at the Flickr set on Stan's Blog.
While we were there I took a walk on the wild side, to my surprise found a treasure chest of sweet chestnuts which the squirrels have not found yet! These will be roasted and enjoyed very shortly.
Meanwhile back on the ranch, Matron has picked the last batch of Bramley apples from the tree. This is just the final batch, there are pounds and pounds. An idea came to me at Wisley today, on a stand selling pickles and chutneys I sampled some "mulled wine chuntney" hmmmm!

2 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Thanks for the company and fun.

Bloody old people stole my game pie , hmppppppppph ;O)

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, Do you ever have trouble with mice eating your apples that are in store? I store the ones for the hall in the basement of the summer house which is dark and cool but I really have to watch the mice, thankfully its just mice and not rats which also seem to like them. I once threw some apples on the compost heap without thinking and within a few days the rats found them. Bob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>