Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Storing vegetables for Winter

I just couldn't resist sharing a photo of these lovely Brussels Sprouts. I confess that I didn't grow them but buying them on a big stem like this is irresistible! I also came across a large quantity of parsnips and beetroots while travelling up in Lincolnshire recently. The landscape up there is very flat and very fertile, and you will see miles and miles of arable farmland. Vegetable farm shops are springing up everywhere.
I made a clamp when I got home to try to keep the root vegetables fresh throughout the Winter. This really involves layering them in cold sand or clean compost or peat. Just build up the layers and keep them stored in a cold dark place.
Whenever you need them just dig down and pull a few more out.
They should keep clean and fresh for months like this.

13 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Brussels never look that perfect! They are so attractive on the stalk. I'm sure a few people must be surprised to see that they grow like that - rather than individually like mini cabbages :-)

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Ummm...that's a cool tip to keep root veggies fresh.
Brussel sprouts is a name i have heard a lot, but saw one, thanks to your blog, only now. I'll have to do some search to see if I can lay my hands on some around here.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Those sprouts look yummy!

Good luck with your winter storage attempts. Let us know how you get on ?

TTFN

Gary @ Reads Retreat.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Aim said...

Thanks for the tut on storing root veg. Interesting!

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Those BS do look good. I wonder if I can find some local grown here...
I have excess beets this year as I didn't thin them as I should. I'll have to try your cold storage. Now is that sand and compost you've mixed together there? Thanks for the tip.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Matron said...

I did mix in some potting compost only because I didn't quite have enough sand.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Easy and clever, it look great/ Tyra

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many years ago my youngest son went on a school trip to a farm in Wiltshire. When he returned home he was very excited with what he had seen. He said that the farmer showed them all the vegetables he had grown on his farm. His elder brother was listening intently in what was said and asked his younger brother whether the man was an arable farmer? "No" came the reply "He was a nice man".

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Dan said...

My brussels sprouts are getting huge, almost 4 feet high. They seem to be pretty slow at bulking up the sprouts though.

I will be putting your root storage strategy to work next season. I picked all my root crops to early this year and now I have nothing left to store. Live and learn I guess.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

For a moment I had sprout-envy - how can Matron grow sprouts that good!!!!! ;)

I buy lots of veg from a farm gate stall on the way to visit my Mum on the edge of the Fens. Big bags all £1 each. They'll soon have the sticks of Sprouts and huge Cellery freshly pulled from the black fen soil.

Celia

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I had never thought of using potting compost for storing root veg. I had always thought it had to be sand.....and didn't fancy lugging att that home so have never done it. Now I will be trying it.....
PS Did you watch the QE2 go out as you said before. I watched her from our bedroom window......sad day!

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I love brussels sprouts but only the tiny ones. Great tip for storing root veggies, thanks!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh those b.sprouts look wonderful! Hubby was in charge of parsnips this year they didn't grow at all. But my scarlet nantes carrots did fabulous! I used to grow Danvers because they seemed to come up so fast, but the very sweet description of the nantes lured me in this year. I'm still harvesting them. I think what I'll do though, is leave a couple in the ground covered up and have them go to seed next year.

My beets are gone now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>