Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Dog Beans

Well, here are my first crop of 'Dog Beans'. When I first read about these I just had to have some, and very kindly Gintoino at Jardim com Gatos was able to oblige with a few precious seeds this Spring. Fairly ordinary looking flat, dwarf (bush) bean with white flowers, quite prolific and a lovely taste.
Looking forward to a larger crop next year. Just another reminder to send me a photo of your canine gardening companions for my forthcoming Matron's Dogblog. Please email them to me by September 28th and I will include them in my post.
P.S. seem to have overcome the posting photos problem this morning, I had to tick a terms and agreement box for some reason...


At 10:06 AM, Blogger Vegetable Heaven said...

I look forward to blogger behaving itself. I love to see a new bean!

At 3:28 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Very pretty dry bean. I have not grown any dried beans for two years running now - so next year I am dedicating some space to grow some more. So this variety is a bush habit and not a half runner?

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Vegetable Heaven said...

the Dog Bean looks not a million miles from the Soldier Bean I grow. A cream background with maroon markings but in this case, a soldier standing to attention! They are lovely in winter stews, very creamy and rich tasting.

At 3:29 PM, OpenID nipitinthebud said...

I've not heard of them before - the podded beans look lovely, like sleeping dalmations!

At 9:25 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

Glad to see they grew well for you. This year I just had no luck with them. Funny to see how their color went back to normal, after last year's beans being almost completely brown.


Post a Comment

<< Home