Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

What's in a Name?

As I mentioned in a previous post, one of my successes this year has been this large purple beefsteak tomato, the seeds were given to me by Mas du Diable in the Spring. They were labelled 'Noir du Crimee' I am assuming that over the years that names vary and change.. I assume then that they are the same variety as Black Russian and Black Krim ? (The Crimea being a part of Russia)?

8 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Those look delish!What a harvest.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Am very envious. I lost all the beefsteaks to blight - PAH!!
I will enjoy yours vicariously....
:)

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Our tomatoes were a disaster this year so I am getting my tomato fix visiting your blog!The visit to the U.S looks to have been a brilliant holiday sailing on the high seas in luxury.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger miss m said...

That's exactly what I told myself after reading Cabbage Tree Farm's comment on previous post. Makes perfect sense.
I did however come upon this page where opinions vary.

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger PJ said...

Nice looking tomatoes but they bear no resemblance to the Black Russians I grew last year. Mine were smaller, certainly not beefsteak, and browner/blacker.

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Jeff Vandiver said...

You know something, Matron? I think there are many different names for the same tomatoes. I bet that one is the same thing as a black krim.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Those are lovely and large tomatoes. The color is unusual but nice... I may just try growing tomato again... haha. ~bangchik

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Your veggies look gorgeous!! Saving for seeds is a nice thing to do.. Sometimes we forget and has to go and buy packets for next planting. ~bangchik

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>