Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bulgarian Giant Leeks

This is the first year I have grown Bulgarian Giant Leeks. From seed sown early in Spring these leeks are certainly different! The stems are mostly more than 12" long and the leaves, when stretched up (to get a kitchen roll over them) are 5ft tall. Ordinary loo rolls weren't nearly long enough this year, so kitchen roll tubes were needed.
A couple even needed the roll from the turkey foil! These are still growing - watch this space!

12 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Look at those monsters ! They'll probably bust those rolls open. lol.
I lost mine to leek moth. Will be watching yours enviously. Lovely !

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Well they make the garden amusing :-) Should make for some really nice leeks too. I planted a crop of leeks early summer but I am not sure if they will produce anything worth harvesting this fall. Maybe if we have a nice winter they will be ready for spring.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger PJ said...

Wow they look great!!! How long do you keep the rolls on to blanch them? I forgot to do it to my leeks this year and they were worse for it.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Wow! Those look great. I love leeks in soups.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I do love leeks. I've never seen any that big though - they are like trees!

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! Those really are giants! I love leeks but know only limited ways to prepare them. How do you use them? (I have *lots* waiting to be made into delicious dishes.)

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Soilman said...

Those ARE giants...

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

This is the first year in forever that I have NOT grown leeks. I am wishing I had some in the garden going into winter. Oh well. Yours are indeed monster plants! I have never seen such a tall variety before.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they look fab, lots of leek moth on our plot so I was thankful I hadn't grown any. Don't think I could bear the heartache of losing any more crops!

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Those leeks look delicious. Wish I had some in a soup right now.~~Dee

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

Those ARE giants! I'm surprise you don't have to stake them in order to keep them from bending over. You'll have to tell us how they taste. Hopefully they have a giant flavor as well!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

You seem rather knowlegeable on the correct sheathing on long leeks , Matron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>