Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Dinner!

Do you know where all the ingredients of your Christmas Dinner are coming from? One of these lucky birds will be taking pride of place on our dining room table on Christmas Day! Iam indeed fortunate to have found a friend with a smallholding, and I went to pick up my goose yesterday! This has to knock spots off the plastic wrapped pale, frozen offerings in most supermarkets?

11 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Doesn't get any fresher than that ! Hope you have a wonderful Xmas diner. :)
Happy Holidays Matron !

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Silli said...

Darn, they are cute.

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Oh they look tasty! Never tasted a duck or goose before, I keep thinking I should though.

I some times wonder if I even live out my country living dream if I could actually kill and eat animals I produce. Not sure if I could eat ol'quacky :-)

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

What a handsome gaggle of geese! I hope your selected one goes peaceably and tastes devine. :-D

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Happy Christmas Matron!

Yes, we're having goose too - from a farm in a nearby village where I know they are raised with care and grazed in the grassy fields.

I'm collecting it today :-)

Best wishes for a great growing year in 2010
Celia

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Collecting our free range bronze turkey from a farm 4 miles away. I've done plant surveys on the fields they've grazed. I'm with Dan though, I couldn't kill them myself. I know that makes me a wimp but you are what you are!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger marigold said...

I'm having goose too. Have a good recipe?

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Matron said...

marigold - I cook mine up on a rack and turn it every half hour. I also drain off the fat because if you leave it the kitchen will be full of smoke. It cooks in its own juices so there is no need to oil it.

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

I've never had a goose. I've only ever had turkey, chicken, and cornish hen. Is there a difference in how they taste?

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Kalena Michele - Goose has much more flavour, like a meaty version of the brown meat on the turkey leg.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Von said...

Well folks, hope you all enjoyed your geese.Mine are happily honking outside my door, relieved they survived Christmas.Don't forget to save the fat which has many uses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>