Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, December 13, 2009

More from Paradise!

The most vibrant place in Funchal, the capital of Madeira, is the local market.
I was interested to see these trombone squash tromba d'albegna as it is a variety that I look forward to growing next season.
I also bought some strings of paprika peppers which I will dry in my dehydrator and make paprika powder. I suppose I will also be looking for a good goulash recipe too!
These monsters are an unusual eel like fish which is caught in the sea off the coast. They are known as Espada fish.
Here are another couple of stray dogs chilling out in the sunshine.

7 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron,
love your pics, looks like you had a great time.Like you I love to visit markets especially in Spain etc as they have such a wonderful variety of fruit and veg. The fish markets are fascinating too! As a dog owner it was nice to see that your friend supports the dogs on the island.
Jane

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Lovely pics...as expected. Can't imagine how one can eat that Espada Fish with those monstrous teeth!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Randy Emmitt said...

Matron,
Enjoyed the market photos and you commentary. Would love to visit there one day.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Those fish look fierce!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Nutty Gnome said...

That market looks like a great place for a mooch round!

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

OMG, that looks like so much fun :) That dog in the last picture looked particularly menacing. LOL

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Euzinha said...

Hi!
I'm from Portugal (but not from Madeira!) and I also love the colors and beautiful landscape of the island!
And I wish all of those dogs, could have someone to take care of them...
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>