Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Warmest Day of the Year!

It was Tshirt weather in London today. Just the psychological boost of sunshine got me out on to the plot to tidy things up.This rhubarb is growing an inch a day at the moment.
Bumble bees and butterflies were flying everywhere!
My tomato seedlings are all up now. They spend their nights in the heated propagator and their days on the bench inside the greenhouse, making the most of all available sunlight.
Peas 'Hurst Greenshaft' and broad beans 'Aquadulce Claudia' are outside during the day and in the greenhouse at night. In a few days I will harden them off completely and plant them outside.
An added bonus today - I went to the RSPCA charity shop and found this RHS encyclopaedia for just £5. I love a bargain! Happy gardening!

10 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Lzyjo said...

You're rhubarb looks great! Love the bumblebee in the crocus. He's so big and bumbly!

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

There is nothing so satisfying as good bargain. Well spotted Matron.
Not exactly T-shirt weather here though it did reach 15.7C in the shade but with a coolish breeze.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Everything is looking great. Your UK bumble bees are so cool, they are not striped here in Canada. You will love the encyclopedia, I have had it for many years, it has everything.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Looks like everything's coming on nicely.

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I love it when the bumble bees are "bumbling" in the garden! My rhubarb is at just about the same point in growth as yours. We really do seem to be in similar climates even though we are in different countries!

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Green thumb said...

It has been a T shirt weather here since long. In fact, very soon it is going to be a T shirt less weather, as the notoriously scorching Indian summer strikes.
Must be a warm feeling to have butterflies and bumblebees around.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jo said...

It's definitely warming up. I forgot to close my greenhouse last night, ooops. I went out this morning dreading what I was going to find, my tomato seedlings are in there, but everything was fine, thank goodness. I've got a memory like a sieve. It won't be long now until your rhubarb's ready to pull.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Doesn't it feel like spring all of a sudden? You'll get your rhubarb crumble before me again!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely tour - gorgeous photos - you know its spring when your rhubarb is up don't you

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done with the A-Z Encyclopedia for a fiver.I brought mine a few years ago and it cost £35 for the set.They are heavy to carry about and make sure you read them on a table as they will make your arms ache if you try to read them like a normal book, but worth every penny...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>