Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Rare Visitor

Whilst potting up in the greenhouse yesterday I noticed some tits visiting Matron's Titbox! The Large Brown Tit (Parus frons Major) is a rare visitor to the UK but warmer climate has seen numbers rise steadily in the South of the Country. Immature females have been known to lay double yolk eggs, like these laid here in my nestbox.
I am thrilled that my home made titbox is being used again this year by such beautiful large tits.
I shall enjoy watching them over the coming months!

12 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, Who wouldn't want to stay in a house like that?! Its a bit naughty of them to go writing on the walls though don't you think? I don't think I will be seeing then any time soon as its been the coldest winter in years up here, even now its nothing like spring everything is soaking wet and cold. Bob.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They are impressive for such a small bird. It's also amazing they laid them on the April 1st!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Happy 1st April to you too! Thanks for the smile.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

ooooooo Matron! What a lark... I mean Great Brown Tit ;-)

Love how you labelled the wood before you made the nest box.

Celia

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Ha ha, I bet it had trouble parting with those.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Rachael said...

April Fool?????!!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Big eggs - big - Oooh I can't say tits can I?

Happy April 1st - and thanks for the laugh!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger HappyMouffetard said...

:)

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Happy April fool's day.
I confess that the comments on this post saved me the embarrassment of going great lengths extolling the extraordinarily beautiful eggs your little birds have laid.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Nice one Matron.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Nice one Matron.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Hmm, april fools maybe :-) I wrapped the kitchen sprayer with elastic bands so my mom got soaked when she turned the water one. It was pretty funny but wasn't nearly as funny when she did it to me later that night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>