Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, September 13, 2010

Autumn Colours

It struk me today when I was looking at my recent pickings, what a wonderful array of colours I have in my harvest. It is always a healthy thing to eat your way round different coloured foods, so I should be bursting with health if this photo is anything to go by! Then I had another look round my patch to see any other bursts of colour..
These bright Lemon tomatoes are just starting to ripen, what a vibrant lemon yellow!
One by one my Scotch Bonnet chillis are turning colour.
and these San Marzano plum tomatoes are an amazing colour too!
And as it happens, yesterday I sat chopping some of my Summer veggies to make piccalilli. After salting them in brine overnight...
and with the addition of fresh turmeric, ginger and English mustard - I will be looking forward to tasting this new, colourful batch of Summer pickle!

17 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi, you have a techniecoloured plot going on there! Lots of variety in veg and they are still ripening with the warm weather here too. Your Bramley apples are fantastic ,all from one tree?!

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous nic @ nipitinthebud said...

piccalilli is my new best friend this year, tackling the gluts of veg with gusto. I love that it's different every time and just lifting the lid brings the sunshine back out!

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Janice said...

Your harvest looks fabulous. I love piccalilli, I'd love it if you would share your recipe. Here in western Canada we are supposed to get snow on Thursday and a killing frost!!! We've had a terrible summer and the garden has really suffered. Love your blog.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, it looks to me like you're preparing to hibernate for the winter!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger sheila said...

Wonderful to see such luscious colours, it's a feast for the eyes as well as for the table. Love your blog

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We love piccallil too but not the smell in the house so it was made outside on the patio.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Jo said...

The piccalilli look delicious. I've grown San Marzano for the first time this year and I'm really impressed with them, I'll grow them again next year. They've got such a lovely taste when cooked.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

Lot's of color going on there. I'm going for the multicolored lettuce patch in my garden ;-)

That piccalili looks great, even though I prefer to look at it than eat it (I don't really like picles)

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, amazingly colourful harvest. Your ripening chillis and tomatoes look particularly good. Sara.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Anna said...

What a glorious riot of colour - your piccalilli should be most tasty.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Those lemon tomatoes look really nice, do tell us what it taste like. Scotch Bonnet chillis look absolutely wicked!

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Wonderful colours, piccalili is my favourite!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Janice - on my blog post of August 27th 2008 "Summer Pickling" I posted the recipe - hope you enjoy it!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I can't see why anyone would just grow red tomatoes! That piccalilli looks fabulous. First pickle I learnt to make.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Plantaliscious said...

Gloriously colourful, must make you feel healthy just looking at it! You are the third person I've come across who says San Marzano are a good tomato, so will add it to my list, thank you!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

What a great way to use up all of your summer veggies. I've never heard of this condiment before. With the addition of turmeric, I'm assuming that it's Indian in origin?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Thomas - yes I'm pretty sure it has Anglo-Indian origins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>