Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, July 15, 2011

Growing Turmeric - update

A wonderful surprise greeted me in the greenhouse this week! I had almost given up hope on this turmeric growing! The cultural instructions were to keep it warm and wet and I didn't think it was going to make it. The Dim Sum Gardener very kindly sent me a piece of fresh turmeric root. This is a member of the ginger family. I look forward to watching this grow.

These Salford Black Beans are really prolific. After bad germination problems I have 4 plants which are really making up for it now. Kindly sent to me by Purple Podded Peas, these black beans are part of my Buddy Morris memorial vegetable garden. Any veggies with a 'black' theme.

13 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Thanks for the update, Matron!
Have a great weekend! :)

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger randi said...

tumeric, very cool. you give me ideas all the time..ha! Always enjoy your posts.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Maureen said...

WOW !!!! turmeric I am so impressed. I have trouble growing lemongrass leave alone turmeric. The lemongrass is actually after what seems like months ! has just started to have a growth spurt.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Glad your turmeric is growing-you've shamed me as I have had some roots in the crisper awaiting planting out for months! beans look delish.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Great news about the turmeric!Look forward to seeing the progress.
And good about the beans too.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

How cool, thats taken an age to germinate hasn't it? Well done for keeping it going long enough. :)

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

One of the perks of gardening is trying out new stuff every year. I haven't grown tumeric yet so must give that a try next year. Those black beans are gorgeous!!!

And what a wonderful tribute to that very special doggywog Buddy to create a garden in his name.

My potager is producing so much food this year and happily Tara loves her veggies and is in for trying new stuff too. I discovered recently that madam loves gherkins. Funny, innit?

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Congrats on the arrival of your turmeric :-) Looking forward to watching its progress! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Great news Matron! I alrmost gave up on my tumeric too, thinking that it won't be warm enough here to grow anything like that but lo and behold, up came a little green shoot :)

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm growing Turmeric this year as well, watching them grow has been great fun, and the leaves are stunning. I'll look forward to reading your progress.
ps - mine survived being blown into the pond, so they are reasonably tough!

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I have been doing a little research about Turmeric lately after hearing about it on a radio show a few weeks back. I found an interesting page on the web the other day regarding Turmeric, blew my mind the uses and some of the almost success stories, might want to check it out when you have a minute.
Link: http://www.ugoogle.com/alternative_news/alternative_medical%20_health.html

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I have been doing a little research about Turmeric lately after hearing about it on a radio show a few weeks back. I found an interesting page on the web the other day regarding Turmeric, blew my mind the uses and some of the almost success stories, might want to check it out when you have a minute.
Link: http://www.ugoogle.com/alternative_news/alternative_medical%20_health.html

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Wow, that's amazing Dan!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>