Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pumpkins!

I have a few nice pumpkins growing on my patch at the moment. The one shown above is Crown Prince. I just love these blue skinned pumpkins, they have the most wonderful dark orange flesh which is firm and sweet.
Queensland Blue pumpkin has to be one of my favourites. I remember growing this variety when I was a child on my Father's allotment. We had family links to Australia and New Zealand and these varieties thrive in the Southern hemisphere where the daylight is just a bit brighter than it is here. Not the easiest to grow here in a dull Summer, but well worth the effort.
And these little beauties are a recent discovery to me. It was Paula at Petunia's Garden that gave me one of these to bring home from a holiday in Washington State. These are a perfect size for 2 people, they have a wonderful firm, sweet texture. These are also known as a sweet potato squash because of the dark orange flesh inside. And these are a brilliant Winter keeper! Again, can be temperamental in the British climate and not as productive as I would like, but well worth the effort.

9 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

The pumpkin and squash remind me of the Fall/Autumn time. Can't believe summer is coming to an end.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Crown Prince - that delicious combination of duck egg blue skin and golden flesh. You can't beat it!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Those looked like melons to me, I'm glad you said they were squash :o) Whatever they are they look healthy and delicious..

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Those are such pretty pumpkins! We've got vines and flowers, but no pumpkins so far. Next year I think I'll try something more unusual like the ones you have.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Ooooh!They look lovely! I must go and check how mine are getting on.... Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Greenorchid said...

I love Crown prince too they grow very well here and store well, I ate the last one in May. Not familiar with the long variety, what are they? I love sweet potatoes... would rather like to try to grow those too...

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We grow Crown Prince - it's a good keeper.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I love crown prince too - yummmmy. Ours aren't that big yet but at least we have some so fingers crossed for a good crop later down the line.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

I have always admired how well you grow your pumpkins, especially the Queensland Blue Pumpkin... I shall be on the lookout for their seeds...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>