Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Variety is the Spice of Life

All my apples are ripening at least a month early this year. I have two family fruit trees, each with 3 varieties grafted on to the root stock. Although some of the labels have gone astray now, these windfalls include, Discovery, Lord Lambourne, Sunset and Egremont Russett. A Great show this year!
Tomatoes are looking great too. Ildi, Black Cherry and Gardener's Delight.
I am still picking a few of these lovely new Delizia F1 cucumbers. Just the right size for one meal, no half cucumbers lurking in the fridge for days. This is fresh and juicy just when you want it. Variety is the Spice of Life!

7 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I only had two Apple trees that were still babies! My Red Delicious died this Summer, (she did give me four nice size apples which I'll make into a pie) and the Fugi is still living and looks healthy but didn't bear any fruit and besides we don't remember seeing any blooms on her in the Spring. You have done well.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We've had to pick our discovery apples a little under ripe (but still delicious) - the wasps were moving in!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Looking so wonderful, Matron. :)

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Mmmmm - those apples look delicious! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

I love diversity in food as much as I love diversity in people, it would be a boring world otherwise.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Motormouth said...

my gardeners delight are great Too! Is black cherry as prolific? Where do you buy them?

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Matron said...

motormouth - I think a fellow blogger swapped some seed with me, but I know that they can be bought easily here, They are almost identical to chocolate cherry. I'm sure if you did a google search or went through some of the main seed catalogues you would find them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>