Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pink Berkeley Tie Dye Tomato

This year I have grown a spectacular looking tomato called Pink Berkeley Tie Dye tomato. Seed kindly sent to me by Dan at this Urban Veggie Garden in Canada. These lovely pink purple tomato have green stripes which turn to silver.
A lovely beefsteak tomato with a superb texture. I am growing these in the greenhouse this year and their growth habit is to grow as a bush.
Such a beautiful slicing tomato! Thanks Dan!
Meanwhile back in the garden, the chickens continue to lay an egg each day, but it looks as if Chicken 'Patty' the white Sussex hen is laying tiny little eggs. Chicken 'Jollof' the black hen continues to lay slightly darker brown eggs.
I have heard that these little eggs are known as 'witch eggs' can any hen keepers out there shed light on this phenomenon? Does it have anything to do with being harrassed by a yellow Labrador?

17 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's a good looking tom! Keep some of those seeds, - I feel a swap coming on. But I can't help you with the egg.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

Those tomatoes look amazing - I really must start growing more interesting varieties.
Not sure what to say about the tiny egg though - that won't make much of a breakfast! I've heard of tiny eggs coming from chickens who are just coming into lay, but I don't think that's the case with yours?

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

Is Chicken Patty a young chicken? THis can happen with young chickens when they start laying. Usualy there is no yolk inside the egg and it shouldn't be a problem and the next eggs should be normal. Some times you can get the reverse, an shell-less egg...if this happens only once or twice shouldn't be a problem

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Those tomatoes are spectacular!!!

Mmmm? a change of environment and stress (large yellow labrador) could well be the cause. Hens don't like change, even a thunder storm can upset egg formation.

When she gets home things should settle back to normal after a few days.

Celia

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Fascinating tomato

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Nice looking tomato, how does it taste? Cute egg!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Sadly, I am of no help with the eggs, but your tomatoes look great, Matron!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

What a great egg.

I love it when our chickens lay odd eggs.

The tomatoes look amazing too, we are growing some black tomatoes but yours are breathtaking!

Martin :0)

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Gintoino - chicken patty is just over 1 year old, has been laying normal eggs till recently. She has been broody recently and has pecked out quite a few feathers. That.. and being harrassed by a big yellow Labrador.. not surprising her egg laying activity is having a hiccup!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I'm never sure what I'm going to see when I visit your blog Matron and for sure I never saw a tomato like that before.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

That's a nice looking Tomato, bet it's delicious sliced between two slices of bread spread with mayonaise, yummy...

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Mmmm, that tomato looks scrummy!

Re. the diddy egg, our younger hens have sometimes laid ones like that when they first start laying. As gintoino says they usually don't have any yolk inside.

Enjoy the tomatoes!!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

That is a funky hip and cool tomato right there! Loving it. Could you imagine the uproar and excitment if something like that was in a supermarket ;)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Da Vikka said...

After a little research, I have found out that another name for these little offerings is a 'cock egg' ... oooh matron!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger tina said...

That tomato is almost too beautiful to eat. I hope it was delish!

The egg is very neat. I'm planning to add chickens to my backyard garden next year so I was interested in all the comments here.

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous lapis said...

Hi!
That's a nice looking tomato!
How is the taste?

I'm a Japanese girl living in UK.
I have been visiting your blog for several years,
and really enjoy reading♪

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Dan said...

The Tie Dye have really performed for you, they look excellent! I am still waiting on my first tomato this year...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>