Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Royalty!

I picked my first cucumber Delizia today. This is a new F1 hybrid available for the first time this year. A handy size for a lunch table. Pale green, thin skin.

Fantastic taste and texture. And like all freshly picked fruit and vegetables.. I could smell it from the moment it was picked! Highly recommended.

I picked my first crop of Royalty dwarf beans today. These are amazingly prolific, there are hundreds more to come! These were from seed saved (borrowed...) from the productive gardens at the Lost Gardens of Heligan a number of years ago. An old Victorian variety, tender, prolific and quick to mature.

And Leo has had a busy day too! We have my Sisters chickens staying with us for a couple of weeks over the holidays. Leo was amazed! barking and running around!

Intrigued, fascinated, excited. Wagging tail all afternoon!

14 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Those look like some delicious cukes! Are you saving seeds? I'm putting my bid in for some and also those purple beans.. They all look so delicous.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

My dog also loves barking at the chickens :)
You have a beautiful old boy there! (so sorry to read about Buddy, made think about B, my other dog)

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We are going to check into that cuke variety for next year. It looks wonderful!
Hi Leo-play nice with the chickens :)

Wyatt

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Mouth-watering cucumber there. I grew Royalty beans some years ago - before I was a seed-saver. They were certainly a delicious bean.

The chickens don't seem so impressed - were they still inside?

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron
I can smell that cucumber from here!
My French beans are a bit slow this year despite starting some off in the greenhouse .
Managed to successfully grow bigger beetroot though.
Happy gardening
Jane

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

That looks like a superior slicing cucumber. Making note of the name and will look for it when purchasing seeds next time. I hope Leo lets those poor chickens come out from their coop!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, It looks like Leo got himself some new friends. It's good to see a dog taken from a home having such a good time. Given the chance I would always take a dog from a home because every dog should have a chance like Leo.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

The cuke looks great, Matron!
Leo looks quite fascinated with your sister's chickens.
Have a great week!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I really like the pale green cucumber, that's the way they should all look! My cucumber are fingernail size and prickly.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Veg Heaven - the chickens have got used to his antics and are now standing there facing up to him!
Rob - I tell Leo every day that he is a lucky boy!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

Are cucumbers easy to grow? Maybe I'll find room in my greenhouse for one of those next year...

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Do you think the chickens will stop laying eggs from the stress of being barked at? I like the look of your cuke so much that my attitude towards F1s is softening!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Dim Sum - I thought they might do, but they still lay every day and they are starting to stand up to him now! They stare him out and he walks away!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Motormouth said...

love some dwarf beans if you would like to trade :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>