Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 28, 2012

Sunday Lunch

I had a leg of lamb in the oven for Sunday lunch yesterday, so I just popped down the end of the garden to pick the veggies.
 One of my favourite veggies is this Swiss Chard, Rainbow Lights.  A mixture of different coloured leaves, it stays good right over the coldest of Winters and then starts growing with a vengeance in Spring. I think I prefer it to spinach!
The stalks are tender and can be chopped up with the leaves, or eaten on their own cooked like celery.





 

And there was just one more Winter Squash left in storage.  I just adore this Squash Delicata. Also known as the Sweet Potato Squash, it has lovely firm, sweet flesh. What a fantastic keeper!

6 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

This is your chard already? Nice! I have to do a fresh start with it this year.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

We grow Rainbow chard as well, it goes down quite well with a little cheese sauce! Have grown the Delicata squash some time ago and it is very tasty and a good size. Maybe I'll grow some next season, thanks for reminding me about it!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Matron said...

I find the best way to grow chard for me is to plant it at the end of Summer. It grows just enough to overwinter as small plants, but because they are already well rooted they survive any cold Winter then they just shoot up in Spring and there is no stopping them!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Those are two of my favourites too. Good idea about overwintering chard. Will have to try that.

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Growing Swiss Chard said...

That chard looks beautiful. Mine chard was growing until I let the chickens out in January then soon ate it. I sowed some more in March and picked some for the first time the other day for a swiss chard and asparagus quiche - delicious.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Think I may have to try the over wintering chard idea... it looks so delicious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>