Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

The Giant Awakes...

Finally I have germination of my Paton Twins giant pumpkin!  I planted the first of two very expensive seeds on 30th April and nothing at all has happened, it failed to germinate.  Just a few days ago I planted the second seed and just one day after germinating the seed leaves are about 3 inches across!
I have been preparing a mound on which to plant it.  The contents of a compost bin, chicken manure, composted grass clippings and well rotted horse manure.  This lovely pile has been sitting for weeks waiting for lift off.  Stand by!

7 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That thing germinated in just one day?? Are you sure it isn't the first one coming up belatedly? (No, I'm sure you would have sown the seed in a separate pot...)
I have gone for the opposite approach - I have "Butterbush" a squash that is bred for compactness.

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive growth.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

hurrah! best wishes little Giant x

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I had a similar experience sowing courgette seed this year, with the second sowing germinating in only a few days. Funny that. Hope you have great success with your pumpkin. I'm growing Jack O Latern and Mammath this year.

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger LindaG said...

Good luck! Hope you get your giant pumpkin!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow... looks like this could be huge,
good luck! and progress reports please...

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger mypatch25 said...

Look forward to seeing the pics. I'm growing Atlantic giant pumpkin this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>